Adblocker detected! Please consider reading this notice.

We've detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking extension which is preventing the page from fully loading. We don't have any banner, Flash, animation, obnoxious sound, or popup ad. We do not implement these annoying types of ads! We need money to operate the site, and almost all of it comes from our online advertising. Please add wow.affcart.com to your ad blocking whitelist or disable your ad blocking extension.

img

The Trump Administration Plans To Announce And Defend A New Transgender Military Policy

/
/
/
9 Views

Justice Department lawyers have told a federal judge that they will be defending a new policy regarding transgender military service that will be “disclosed” by the Trump administration on Feb. 21, the federal judge wrote in an order this week.

No further information about what that policy will be was included in the order, and federal officials declined to provide any further information.

There are currently several cases challenging Trump’s policy that called for an end to open transgender military service. US District Judge Marvin Garbis, who is overseeing one of those cases, noted the new policy development in the course of a brief ruling on when the government must turn over certain information to those challenging the policy.

The Feb. 21 date referenced is likely referring to a date set by President Trump’s August memorandum that set the policy. Under the memorandum, the defense secretary is supposed to submit an implementation plan for the three portions of the memo — recruitment rules, retention, and health care — to Trump by Feb. 21.

All three of those provisions have been put on hold by various federal courts — including by Garbis — and the administration stopped fighting a Jan. 1 deadline for accepting new military recruits who are transgender days before the deadline went into effect.

This week, Justice Department lawyers argued in one of those challenges that the defendants could not comply with obligations to turn over the required information “because they will not be defending the policy now at issue but will be defending the policy to be disclosed on February 21, 2018,” Garbis wrote in a Tuesday order, summarizing what the Justice Department’s lawyers had said in a telephone conference from earlier in the day.

The Justice Department declined to comment on the order, but a lawyer for the challengers who was on the call confirmed the accuracy of the judge’s account.

Asked about the statement that a new “policy” would be “disclosed on February 21, 2018,” Maj. David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesperson, said that the Pentagon only would be preparing “recommendations,” but that a final decision on the “new policy” would come from the White House.

“The panel that was established by the Secretary of Defense is presenting their recommendations to him. At the end of this month, The Secretary will make his recommendations to the President, who will then make a decision and establish the new policy on transgender [service] in the military,” Eastburn told BuzzFeed News.

Under Garbis’s order, the Justice Department is to fulfill their evidentiary obligations in the case “shortly after February 21, 2018.”

Neither the White House nor the Justice Department provided any additional clarification on the plans or timeline for making them public.

Chris Geidner is the legal editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, DC. In 2014, Geidner won the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association award for journalist of the year.

Contact Chris Geidner at chris.geidner@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.

Source Link

Create a shortened URL

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Linkedin
  • Pinterest

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

It is main inner container footer text

Hey there!

or

Sign in

Forgot password?
Close
of

Processing files…